- Happy five years Largehearted Boy!
- Forget the Oscars. The big deal awards ceremony to watch is The Razzies. Basic Instinct 2 is the front-runner, with seven Razzie nominations.
- RIP, Ron Carey. I guess you made detective after all.
- Robert Fulford on literary rejection.
- Frank Wilson isn’t kidding about all the books he gets.
- Here’s one way to support McSweeney’s while the AMS thing gets sorted out. (via Scott)
- Congrats TJ.
- David Kipen on the Big Read. (via Mark)
- George Bush’s approval rating has hit 28%, making him (along with Nixon during Watergate) the most unpopular president since World War II.
- Ice chess in London and Moscow. (via Alan DeNiro)
- If you “feel like a traitor,” chances are you are one.
- 30 Books in 30 Days? Nice ambition, Freeman. This calls for an even crazier literary stunt. Something this year. I have some ideas.
- Wait a sec, VanderMeer. I thought you were done with The New Weird!
You know, every time I see one of these polls in which Bush’s approval rating is 35%, 30%, 28%, etc. it pisses me off. Who are these 28%, and what the hell is wrong with them!
I believe Harry Truman’s ratings were in the 20% range in 1952, the last year of his presidency, because of an unpopular but probably necessary war.