- Matthew Cheney reports on this year’s World Fantasy Convention.
- This Space suggests that Michel Houellebecq’s work has “a decorum as studied as any Edwardian novel” and compares House of Mirth against Atomized.
- Has Oprah turned into Geraldo? The Book Standard reports that Terry McMillan will confront her gay ex-husband on today’s show.
- Another plagiarism case: this time, it involves filmmaker Deepa Mehta pilfering from journalist Anuradha Dutta.
- William T. Vollmann has a great way to make a lot of cash in six hours. (via Tito Perez)
- Tod Goldberg notes that the Los Angeles Times has picked up on the Koontz racist remarks story. Apparently, Bantam Dell has been receiving feedback on what Koontz said and Lee Goldberg and Koontz talked on the phone, without apparent success. Meanwhile, Koontz is claiming that the remarks involved “some political incorrectness, but nothing mean.” Tod Goldberg concludes, “Whatever the case may be, I suspect saying, ‘Sorry if I offended anyone, it certainly wasn’t my intention’ would have been a far better response than, ‘You’re all out to get me!'”
© 2005, Edward Champion. All rights reserved.