- An emo version of the Footloose soundtrack. “Holding Out for a Hero” was never really intended as a song you’d want to slice your wrists to. And if you ply me with enough liquor, I could go on about my complex feelings about Bonnie Tyler at length. But I won’t. I’ll just say that the man behind this deranged concept deserves props for transmuting a teenage classic and removing all hope and redemption from its soundtrack. (via Quiddity)
- Leave it to Rebecca Solnit to play the predictable 1936 Godwin’s card. I much prefer Erin O’Brien’s blunt summation.
- Al Franken: not the Senatorial shoe-in he thought he was.
- Shouldn’t there be something literary here? Not necessarily.
- Samantha Power on Russia.
- Roger Ebert on the end (and the beginning) of Ebert and Roeper.
© 2008, Edward Champion. All rights reserved.