Jumping off from this Book Standard article by Jessa Crispin, here is a list of cliches to be found in any article written about comic books. I urge all reviewers to please clip this list next to their typewriters before sending out a query.
1. Comic books: They’re not just for kids anymore!
2. Comic books: They tackle adult themes!
3. Comic books: They’re not lower-class art!
4. Comic books: They tell personal stories!
5. The Egyptians had hieroglyphics. Today, we have comic books!
6. Comic books as the great equalizer among audiences.
7. The obligatory comparison to Art Spiegelman.
8. The obligatory comparison to Frank Miller.
9. Comic books: It’s about the sense of wonder!
10. Well, wouldn’t you know it, graphic novels really are literature!