It’s slim pickens on the literary news front. For obvious reasons. But we’ll see what we can do:
- The latest addition to the bookstore? Day care.
- Birmingham, AL is more literate than New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Alas, not even Birmingham could beat San Francisco. For those who missed the survey, here are the results.
- Apparently, it was a good year for Canadian writers. Perhaps a little of that edumucation and social program stuff up north might have something to do with it?
- There’s also a books quiz at the Observer, for those interested.
- Gray Lady. Manga! Gray Lady.
- Christianity Today names the best books of the year. Believe it or not, Markson made the list.
- NPR remembers the writers who passed on this year.
- And yes, folks, it’s official. Sales of consumer electronics surpassed book sales for the first time.